June 5, 2008

Why June 5th Means So Much To Me

Arlington Cemetery American Soldier
© Photographer: Davidpark | Agency: Dreamstime.com
Well, first of all, today is my good friend (and fellow adoptee), Chris' Birthday. I have had the priviledge of knowing him from the beginning of his "search" and have actually met his first Mother now! It is a blessing to see them so happy to have found one another, finally! Happy Birthday, Chris!

On a more somber note...

On this date, 40 yrs ago, Robert F. Kennedy was murdered. I never really thought about it growing up, because I was actually less than a month old when it happened. But looking back, 1968 was so full of history, and such a pivotal time for all Americans ~ young and old alike.

One of the first things my Uncle Ron told me was how my Mother, Norma Carol, literally cried for days when hearing of the assassination. At first it didn't click, but when the initial shock and awe numbness of reunion began to wear off enough for me to actually think logically and begin to piece together the events, I suddenly realized that my Mother had given birth and given me up for adoption just a few short days before this (other) tragic event.

Even in the 60's when out-of-wedlock birth was "hush, hush" and mothers were told to "forget", my Mother was grieving. She started searching for me in the late-70's before I even reached adolescence, contacting the ALMA Organization for support. I began searching for her in my early 20's but even at that young age, it was too late. She passed away before we could make the connection. The re-connection.

I found some wonderful quotes from Robert F. Kennedy and just wanted to share them here. I watch the old black and white footage and think of my Mother and the Summer of '68 when we were both crying ~ apart.


"The future does not belong to those who are content with today, apathetic toward common problems and their fellow man alike, timid and fearful in the face of bold projects and new ideas. Rather, it will belong to those who can blend passion, reason and courage in a personal commitment to the great enterprises and ideals of American society."
-- Robert F. Kennedy

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
-- Robert F. Kennedy

"Few will have the greatness to bend history itself; but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total of all those acts will be written the history of this generation."
-- Robert F. Kennedy

"Some people see things as they are and say why. I dream things that never were and say why not?"
-- Robert F. Kennedy

No comments: