August 17, 2012

Things I Wish I Had Known

I have a dream clouds
                                       © Photographer: Arneke | Agency: Dreamstime.com

 
Things I wish I had known:

   I didn't need to feel rejected as a child and young adult wondering HOW a mother could give her child away (ie. "place for adoption") because of "Love". 

I wish I had learned much earlier about the societal history of shame
(see Ann Fessler's book, The Girls Who Went Away),
and a financially driven, supply & demand based industry that explains the reason most babies become "available" for adoption.

My mother didn't "place" me because she loved me.
She certainly didn't reject me.
She surrendered her own motherhood/child because of a society that rejected her, and
only accepted me if I was removed from her and my original, true identity.

 I didn't have to be confused by the myth that it must be God's will for me to lose my mother, family, identity, and original life so I could be "chosen".
To gain my new family, life, love, and blessings.

I grew up trying to force this idea into my head & heart, but it was completely incongruent with life, truth, and the adoptee's reality.

I lived with emotions of extreme guilt for feeling disloyal, wondering how I could really love my adoptive family if I had feelings of loss and longing.

I was relieved to "wake up" and realize that, like Joseph, when he was reunited with his original family, I also concluded,
"What the ENEMY meant for evil (separation, loss), God eventually turned for good."

I didn't have to be fearful and distrusting of God anymore because it was impossible to understand (what adults tell most adoptees for their own benefit) how God PLANNED and WILLED for me to be adopted.
He didn't orchestrate it.

I once heard an eye-opening sermon by Pastor Dick Bernal ("Jubilee Christian Center"). 
 He was talking about scriptures in the New Testament that spoke of us being "adopted" as God's own children. After doing an in-depth study on the word translated into "adopted", he found that the original meaning in the Greek language more closely resembled "reunited" or "reinstated."

First John even uses the Greek word "sperma" to describe us as God's beloved children. The Prodigal Son certainly wasn't his Father's "adopted" son, he was his biological offspring. 

 It was comfort to this adoptee's soul to hear this revelation. 
 That God didn't NEED to "adopt" me as His child in the same sense "adoption" is used today.

The scriptures also teach that anything hidden in darkness and secrecy cannot be truly made whole.

Yet adoptees' records and birth certificates are sealed by laws which perpetuate this shame and injustice.
Even "open adoption" is not legally enforceable by law, and certainly doesn't negate the profound loss every adoptee experiences.

I wish I had known that, just like Wilbur Wilberforce, Susan B. Anthony, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Jean Patton,  
that it takes a lot of courage, fortitude, and perseverance to keep voicing an "unpopular" opinion, but a lived experience.

That I don't have to feel like the lone duck and the odd-one-out.
 I can stand up to criticism, with courage. That someday the cost will be worth it.

Until the monetary & marketing aspects in adoption are removed, and every adopted individual in America is restored their God-given right to own their original birth certificate and identity, adoption will continue to be simply an enterprise of human-selling.
Children who truly need loving homes will be overlooked and discarded.

Loving and capable Mothers will continue to be pressured to "do the right thing" and relinquish their precious offspring to those willing to pay.

And adopted individuals will continue to be seen as perpetual children in the eyes of the law and society, being treated with contempt and shame for wanting the same right as every other American citizen, for themselves and their children after them ~ simply to know their true genealogy, identity, medical history, and family line.

34 comments:

Melanie Recoy said...

Yes, yes, yes.

Michelle@Gotchababy said...

I second Melanie's comment. The more I read, the more I learn, and the more I hope I'll be able to help my children through their own grief.

Triona Guidry said...

Great list. I especially identify with #1.

a Tonggu Momma said...

Of all the lessons I have learned these past two years reading adoption blogs, the one that was THE most important for me to learn was the one of which you spoke. Adoption is NOT God's will. It was not God's original plan for my daughter and her first family to experience such tremendous loss just so that I could become a mother. As you referenced, as the Scripture says, "What the ENEMY meant for evil (separation, loss), God has turned for good."

FauxClaud said...

ah Peach.. may *I* add another thing I didn't know?

I didn't know that I would so need, depend, love, be thankful and grateful to an amazing group of virtual strangers who were adopted and would speek for my child...tahnk YOU for saying so much and teaching me

malinda said...

"I didn't have to be fearful and distrusting of God anymore because it was impossible to understand (what adults had told me for their own benefit) how God PLANNED and WILLED for me to be adopted. He didn't orchestrate it."

YES YES YES YES YES!!!

How insulting to God to think he wanted all this pain just so I could be a parent. I cringe when I hear adoptive parents make that argument.

Thanks so much for this post.

Mei-Ling said...

Thank god (no pun intended)for number two.

(This is coming from an adoptee whose a-parents were fully aware of why her Mama & Baba did not raise her, but still tell themselves it was Fate I was adopted...)

Unknown said...

This was a hard blog for me to read. As a Korean adoptee, the chances that I will ever find my birth family are slim to none. My adopted parents, although far from perfect, raised me with the same morals and beliefs as their own parents did. Even though I was not really accepted into my community, I was fully accepted into my family. I know of other adoptees whose own families were not so kind and made it perfectly clear they were different than the "other" kids. In retrospection, my parents could have helped more by learning about the Korean culture rather than doubting their daughter was a continual victim of racism. I'm in my thirties now and I'm still going through my own grief at not knowing my birth family... great blog!

Anonymous said...

I appreciated No 2. I cannot doubt that adopting feels right for our family, and I believe that God is somewhere in that. However, I do agree that it is not God's will for children to be separated from their birth families.

You made a powerful distinction. I want to be more careful and sensitive in the way I talk about that.

Unknown said...

شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
احسن شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض
تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
شركة نظافة بالرياض
تنظيف بيوت بالرياض
نقل عفش بالرياض
احسن شركة نقل عفش بالرياض
شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
مستودعات حفظ اثاث بالرياض
شركة تنظيف بلاط بالرياض
تنظيف فلل
شركة ات تنظيف بالرياض
شركة تنظيف بالرياض
تنظيف فلل وقصور

Unknown said...

شركة تنظيف
عزل خزانات بالرياض
مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
مستودعات تخزين اثاث
حفظ و نقل اثاث الرياض
شركة نظافة عامة
تنظيف مسابح بالرياض
تنظيف كنب بالرياض
احسن جلى بلاط بالرياض
مؤسسة نظافة
رش مبيدات حشرية بالرياض
نقل وتخزين عفش بالرياض
شركة نقل وحفظ عفش بالرياض

Unknown said...

نقل عفش
شركة نقل اثاث
نقل عفش الرياض
شركة تسليك مجاري بالدمام
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بيارات بالدمام
نقل عفش مكة
نقل اثاث مكة
شركة تنظيف بمكة
<a

Unknown said...


شركة تنظيف خزانات بمكة
نقل اثاث بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف بالمدينة المنورة

Unknown said...

شركة تنظيف بيارات بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة
شركة عزل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة
عوازل الاسطح

Unknown said...

غسيل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة
تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة
شركة غسيل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة
شركة كشف تسربات بالمدينة المنورة

Unknown said...

غسيل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة

غسيل خزانات بالمدينة

شركة غسيل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة

تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة

شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة

شركات تنظيف الخزانات بالمدينة المنورة

افضل شركات غسيل الخزانات بالمدينة المنورة

تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة

شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة

غسيل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة

غسيل خزانات بالمدينة

شركة غسيل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة

تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة

شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة

شركات تنظيف الخزانات بالمدينة المنورة

افضل شركات غسيل الخزانات بالمدينة المنورة

تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة

شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة

غسيل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة

غسيل خزانات بالمدينة

شركة غسيل خزانات بالمدينة المنورة

تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة

شركة تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة المنورة

شركات تنظيف الخزانات بالمدينة المنورة

افضل شركات غسيل الخزانات بالمدينة المنورة

تنظيف خزانات بالمدينة

Unknown said...

Thank you for this! As a Christian and an adoptee myself, I have been struggling with what is being told to me by those in my church. They mean well, but their words are hurtful. I have been told that it is G-d's will for me to be adopted and that I just need to accept it...the comparison with being adopted into the family of G-d which is a good thing, or the general feeling that I need to keep living with the secrecy of closed records because what I find might not be what I expect, etc. or I might hurt my first mom. Thanks again so much for this post!

Unknown said...


الاستاذ
الاستاذ
الاستاذ
الاستاذ
الاستاذ
الاستاذ
الاستاذ
الاستاذ
الاستاذ
شركة الفتح لنقل العفش
شركة نظافه شامله
شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض
شركة تنظيف خزانات
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالرياض
شركة مكافحة فئران بالدمام
شركة عزل خزانات بالدمام
شركة وايط شفط بيارات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج بالدمام
شركة شفط بيارات بالدمام
شركة عزل اسطح بالدمام
شركة تسليك مجارى بالدمام
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالدمام
شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف قصور بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بيوت بالدمام
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالدام
نقل بنجران
شركة تنظيف سجاد ومكوكيت بنجران
شركة تنظيف خزانات بجزان
شركة مكافحة حشرات بجزان
تنظيف بالرياض
شركة تنظيف وعزل خزانات
شركة مكافحة واباده حشرات
تسليك مجارى بنجران
شركة نقل اثاث
شركة وايط شفط بيارات

Unknown said...

خدمات تنظيف بالرياض
شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض
شركة نقل عفش واثاث بالرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مجالس
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالرياض
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض
<

Unknown said...

خدمات تنظيف بالرياضيييي
شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض
شركة نقل عفش واثاث بالرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف فلل بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مجالس
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالرياض
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض
<

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

شركة تنظيف بنجران
شركة تنظيف خزانات بنجران
شركة تنظيف شقق بنجران
شركةنقل اثاث بنجران
شركة تنظيف ببيشة

شركة تسليك مجارى بنجران
شركة رش مبيدات بنجران
شركة مكافحة حشرات بنجران
مدرس رياضيات بغرب الرياض



Unknown said...

شركة الصفرات للتنظيف بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لمكافحة الحشرات بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لنقل العفش بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لكشف التسربات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف بالرياض
شركة الصفرات للتنظيف بالرياض
شركة الصفرات للتنظيف بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لمكافحة الحشرات بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لنقل العفش بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لتنظيف الخزانات بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لكشف التسربات بالرياض
شركة الصفرات لرش المبيدات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف مجالس بمكة
شركة تنظيف شقق بمكة
شركة تنظيف بالطائف
شركة تنظيف منازل بالطائف

شركة زهرة العلا said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض

شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالقصيم

شركة مكافحة حشرات براس تنورة

شركة مكافحة حشرات بجازان

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالمدينة المنورة

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالطائف

Unknown said...

good

afaf elgamal said...


شركة كشف تسربات بخميس مشيط
شركة كشف تسربات مياة بأبها

شركة مكافحة النمل الأبيض بأبها

شركة رش مبيد بجازان
شركة مكافحة حشرات بخميس مشيط
شركة تسليك مجارى بأبها
شركة رش مبيد بأبها
شركة مكافحة حشرات بأبها
شركة عزل أسطح بأبها

seocom said...

خدمة شراء الأثاث المستعمل
الأثاث المستعمل له العميل الخاص به التي يقدر قيمته والتي يرغب بأن يجعل في منزله قطعة مميزة أو نادر وجودها، فعليكِ عزيزنا أن تقتنع بأن لا يوجد أفضل من شركة شراء اثاث مستعمل بالمدينة لكي تقدم لكَ اثاث مستعمل في شكل جديد جداً، فإذا كنت تعتقد أننا نقدم اثاث مستعمل تالف فهذا بالفعل اعتقاد خاطئ يقلل من قدر الشركة بين الشركات الأخرى لأن شركة اثاث مستعمل بالمدينة المنورة تحسن اختيار الاثاث المستعمل لكي يستفيد منه المستهلك بقدر المستطاع.

شركة زين لخدمات التسويق 01201726286 said...

www.alrayyanclean.com/

انا انثى said...

فساتين سواريه محجبات

انا انثى said...

صور دريسات

seocom said...

شركة مكافحة البق بالمدينة المنورة

انتشار البق والحشرات في المنزل ينشأ حالة من الزعر والقلق في المنزل ، لذلك يجب التخلص منهم نهائيا واسرع طريقة للتخلص منهم التعاون مع شركة مكافحة البق بالمدينة المنورة لأنها متدربة علي استخدام افضل المعدات الامنة علي صحة الاشخاص المتواجدين في المكان ، ولكن فعالة للقضاء علي البق ومع تلك الجودة نقدم اسعار مميزة .

Awad Elsayed said...

شركة الصفرات للتنظيف بالرياض

شركة مكافحة حشرات بجازان

Anonymous said...

yeezy 350 v2
bapesta
bape t shirt
supreme
off white t shirt
off white shoes
yeezy shoes
off white
chrome hearts store
off white

Anonymous said...

في عيادات تحويل المسار في مصر د. أحمد عبد السلام عيادات تحويل المسار في مصر يمكنك أن تطمئن إلى أنه يتم توفير أعلى مستوى من الرعاية لإجراء عملية تحويل مسار ناجحة وآمنة يتمتع فريقنا من الأطباء والممرضين ذوي الخبرة