September 28, 2008

I KNEW I should lay off the coffee....


CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - It wasn't just the caffeine that gave an Iowa woman an extra jolt after she had her morning coffee. It was also the bat she found in the filter.

The Iowa Department of Public Health says the woman reported a bat in her house but wasn't too worried about it. She turned on her automatic coffee maker before bedtime and drank her coffee the next morning.

She discovered the bat in the filter when she went to clean it that night. The woman has undergone treatment for possible rabies.

Health officials say that the bat was sent to a lab but that its brain was too cooked by the hot water to determine whether it had rabies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Ouch! Nasty! GAAHHHH! ~ this story caught my eye for two reasons
1) I'm always trying to get my hyper-active, stressed out hubby to STOP drinking coffee ~ it doesn't do him a BIT (BAT) of good!

2) My son is FASCINATED with bats (of all things). He thinks Count Von Count on Sesame Street(and his lovely entourage of BATS) is a big "Purple Mouse" (take a second look ~ he DOES look like a purple mouse, and I for one, don't mind my son thinking so ~ lol) who likes to count things and laugh weird ~ HA HA HA HA HAAAA...so my toddler runs around the house doing the same. We went to the zoo this past weekend and he had a fit when we left the bat house! lol

3) Another chilling side-note here that I rarely admit or talk about, because it is alittle too close to home ~ my first Mother's brother (my Uncle, whom I adore), wrote me a wonderful letter at the very beginning of our reunion ~ all about my Mother. He told me so many things that made my hair stand on end (literally) about her ~ because we sound SO much alike. She was an activist, a writer, an animal lover deluxe, loved nature & flowers, and fought for the underdog every time. The ONLY thing he mentioned about her, that I didn't share, was the fact that she liked horror movies (I hate them), and got a kick out of old Dracula movies. (I think one reason I DON'T like horror movies, is because I'm adopted ~ real life is scary enough for me. I know many readers of this blog probably would accuse me of "blaming" everything on adoption ~ and that's o.k. (really) ~ HA HA HA...
BUT ~ the interesting point I'm trying to get to here, is that when my son IMMEDIATELY gravitated toward Count Von Count on Sesame Street (the only consolation I have is that he truly believes he is a mouse) I wanted to throw my hands up and scream ~ it was just a little TOO much to take ~ reminded me of my first Mother so much, and how strong genetics truly are (not that it hasn't hit me in the face MANY times during my reunion). I've finally come to the point of accepting the fact that my son (unlike me) inherited that from his Grandmother ~ the one he never met, the one I never met ~ but yet who continues to live through her descendants (us!) and influence us every day in such a strong way. I so wish she were still on this earth ~ I just know we'd be having great fun).

No comments: